Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Keep Calm and be Gluten Free


As I have mentioned before I am a Coeliac and one of my daughters is also a diagnosed Ceoliac. This means that we are very allergic to Gluten and must be on a Gluten Free Diet for the rest of our lives.

I was diagnosed via a blood test and an endoscopy at the beginning of 2010 and Miss 12 shortly after that. Coeliac (Celiac) Disease runs in families and if one member of the family has been diagnosed then it is recommended to have other family members tested as well.

Miss 12 was 9, turning 10, at the time and very small for her age. Her younger sister 7 at the time, was about the same height and people would regularly mistake them as twins. She was a good eater but frequently complained of stomach aches, especially after eating. Since she has been on a Gluten Free Diet she has grown to be more regular in height and in proportion to her sister by age.

Through out my Blog I will be cooking and posting Gluten Free Foods suited to adults and children. All our children's birthday parties are Gluten Free and obviously we eat Gluten Free every day and night with some variations for my Husband and Miss 10 who can still eat gluten.

Gluten is found in Wheat, Barley, Rye, Spelt and Oats. We can have Rice, Corn (Maize), all Fruit and Vegetables, Meat, Tofu and Potato.

When I was first diagnosed I found the prospect of learning all new products and foods I could buy and eat quite daunting. But over time I have managed to try, and find, the products I like the best. So as well as having recipes on my blog I will also be doing GF Product Reviews. I hope it helps those of you who also eat Gluten Free and shop in Australia.

No comments:

Post a Comment